Sunday, October 09, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 1.4.6 - Vata


The animals barked and bleated and howled. Someone was in the backyard. I shuffled to the screen door. It must be that blonde girl. She circled the house, hiding from the men and their guns.

I pushed open the door and called, “Come in, dear.” The animals quieted at the sound of my voice.

I heard footsteps, soft on the dirt, then the girl emerged from the shadows. She held her burgundy sweatshirt to the side of her forehead, but I could still see the pain and fear in her face. Blood and dirt oozed in a sickly mud on both her elbows and her lower ribs.

“Come in, dear. Let me help you. My name is Vata.”

I stepped aside and held the door for her. She mumbled, “I’m Fírí,” as she entered the kitchen.

Fírí spotted Pí‘oro sitting at the table and immediately tried to cover her breasts with one arm while still holding the sweatshirt to her forehead. Pí‘oro, though, faced the living room, motionless.

The first step was to clean her wounds, or else they wouldn’t heal properly. “Pí‘oro dearest, can you fetch some clean rags?”

He stood and walked into the living room, presumably heading for the linen closet. Fírí relaxed her modesty arm, but didn’t move it.

“Let’s see your injury, dear.” I took the sweatshirt, my hand over hers, and gently pulled it away. Fresh crimson blood covered half her face.

No comments: