Monday, March 21, 2005

For

If you want to get anything done in this world, you can't just sit back and talk. You actually have to get off your bum and do something about it. If you're not actively working for what you care about, then no one will.

At the ex-servicemen panel discussion last week, one of the ex-marines made a good point: Don't be against something. Be for something. It's easy to sit in the back row and take potshots at the guy on stage, but it's much harder to stand up and say, "I have an idea. Let's do this."

Around Seattle, you can still see "No Iraq War" bumper stickers everywhere. (At least they’ve finally taken down the yard signs!) Bush is talking about spreading democracy and freedom and all these positive things, and all the liberals can respond with is "No!" It's no wonder the Democrats lost the last election. No one is going to vote for a whiny little kid. "No!" They're going to vote for someone with convictions, with ideas, with a plan for the future--even if they don't entirely agree with all of those ideas or plans.

Lots of liberals these days want to call themselves "progressives," but how progressive can they be if all they can say is "No!"? A true progressive would be championing causes, presenting plans, and generally coming up with ideas for how to fix the problems at hand rather than just shouting down everyone else’s ideas.

As for me: I am for lower taxes; I am for proportional representation; I am for states' rights; I am for people taking responsibility of their own actions; I am for people taking responsibility for their own lives; I am for construction; I am for preservation; I am for human colonization of Mars; I am for the Utes to win it all, baby!

No comments: