Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Samsung Bad; LG Good

I went to the Verizon Wireless store to replace my three (four?) year old phone, since you can get a replacement after two years. I tried a couple cheap phones and decided to get the Samsung.

An hour later, Christina called me. The sound quality was awful, and it wasn't Christina's fault. It was the phone. We tested it at home last night with the same results.

Today, I went back to Verizon Wireless and told them that the sound quality was horrible and that the phone didn't meet the basic requirements to be called a telephone and should instead be only marketed as an oversized pocketwatch.

The VZW guy said that Samsung was actually one of the better brands for sound quality. That's sad.

The conversations lasted a half hour, but in summary, I was able to replace the Samsung with the cheapest LG phone (much better sound quality), which was listed at a higher price but they didn't charge me extra for, and I was able to get them to waive the $35 restocking fee on the crap Samsung phone.

So now I just need to navigate this mail-in rebate they gave me to get my money back to make it "free."

2 comments:

Pedicularis said...

My Samsung phone is okay. I'll bet you got a rotten apple, a lemon, a phone that was improperly assembled but never tested until you used it.

Sotosoroto said...

Or you have lower standards when it comes to audio quality (especially concerning the upper register).

Chunlin's Samsung is almost as bad as the one I returned.