Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Lunch in Portland

Yesterday, I was in Portland. Shortly before going to lunch at the Thai restaurant across the street from the job site, I skinned my finger. It wasn't bleeding much, so I just held a paper towel to it as we went to lunch.

While reading the menu, I decided that my wound needed a bit more care, since it was still bleeding slightly and I needed both hands to properly eat lunch.

I asked the waitress, "Do you have any Band-Aids?"

She replied, "No."

Positive that a place with sharp knives would have a first aid kit of, at least, meager proportions, I lifted my injured hand and repeated, "A Band-Aid?"

"Oh, a bandage. Yes!"

And she retrieved two small Band-Aids (or whatever you call non-name-brand bandages with sticky bits on the ends).

So why did she say "no" at first?

She thought I was asking for a dish I couldn't find on the menu!

No comments: