Monday, October 09, 2006

Memento Gone

I had a small shard of plastic at my desk. It was a memento from my Europe trip last year. When I shipped stuff home from Dubrovnik, I included my guidebook pages from Greece. In transit, the box split open and the guidebook pages fell out. The plastic shard fell in. Or perhaps the one transmuted into the other. I'll never know.

But the plastic shard is now gone. Did the cleaning crew throw it out, thinking they were doing me a favor? Did a coworker pick it up and forget he had it with him as he walked away? The shard was sitting right beside the little rock that came through my driver's-side window while driving on I-5 last year and hit me in the shoulder. Why'd they take the plastic shard and not the rock? If it was the cleaning crew who threw it out, why didn't they think these two objects were related, equal in importance? More than likely, I'll never know.

It just looks wrong now, to just have the rock.

Memento gone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"...sitting right beside the little rock that came through my driver's-side window while driving on I-5 last year and hit me in the shoulder."

Should I be grateful that you don't tell me about these near misses where you might have been blinded or killed?
Mom