Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Walk Faster!

To me, it seems like everyone's walking slowly. But apparently that's changing. A new study shows that walking speeds the world over have increased 10% in the past ten years.

Still not fast enough.

Singapore's residents have been found to be walking the fastest, followed by Copenhagen and Madrid.

New York, generally considered one of the world's most frenetic cities, is eighth, while London has come 12th and Tokyo is placed 16th in the British study.

[...]

In Singapore, walking pace has risen by 30 per cent and in Guangzhou, China, the figure is 20 per cent.

The most laid-back places are Blantyre in Malawi and Manama, Bahrain.

The research was carried out by Professor Richard Wiseman, of the University of Hertfordshire, who measured the average time it took 35 adults in each city to walk 18 metres.
I don't think I'd want to move to Singapore. I'd rather move to someplace where's there are fewer people in my way...

No comments: