Sunday, April 20, 2008

It Wasn't Snowing in Canada

On Saturday, we took a little drive up north, finishing off I-5 and taking in a dayhike to Fragrance Lake on Chuckanut Mountain.

2-Peace Arch Wait
It was sunny in Canada, and yet everybody was trying to get into the United States.

When I told the Canadian border guard about having just finished driving I-5 in Washington State, he seemed suspicious of the whole affair. He let me into Canada, though, and gave me directions for a quick turnaround. The US border guard, on the other hand, didn't seem suspicious at all, although I'm not sure he fully comprehended what I was telling him. His last question was: "Are you on vacation?" My reply: "No, just a day trip."

3-Chunlin Peace Arch Prov Park
We walked around a bit in Peace Arch Provinical Park.

12-Boundary Marker United States
And then drove back into the United States.

Next stop, Larrabee State Park, south of Bellingham. It was Washington's first state park, when a Mr. Larrabee granted the land to the state. We thank you, Mr. Larrabee.

18a-Jack Island Ch(Chunlin's photo)

The trail to Fragrance Lake had a brief offshoot to a lookout over Samish Bay and to the San Juan Islands. I think that's Orcas hidden in the clouds.

20-Mark Chunlin Larrabee Lookout St
A kind young man from Western Washington University took our photo for us.

21-Fragrance Lake Outlet
After two miles and 1000' gain (we're starting small this year), we arrived at Fragrance Lake. Small, but looked deep enough to swim in . . . if it wasn't cold enough to snow.

26-Fragrance Lake Snow
Oh look. Snow.

Let's play a game:
25-Fragrance Lake Flower Reflection
Name! . . . that! . . . flower!

No comments: