Monday, August 18, 2008

Subdivision, part 13

Just a few days after I received the "final" letter from DPD, I received more comments from the city.

Lo and behold, it was from Seattle City Light. That was quick. It wasn't really a comment, though, but a directive on where they want the easement for their power lines to go. Basically, it describes a swath of land on the south parcel directly under the existing power lines to the existing house.

If we accept this easement, it will mean we can't have a covered connection between the new house and the existing detached garage. There would have to be ten feet clear between them. According to City Light, it would be possible to get rid of the easement at some point in the future, but it would require City Council approval, which could take six months or longer.

The other option is to reroute the power supply to the existing house. The engineers at City Light are now working to give me a cost estimate for this. If it's cheap enough, we'll do it. If it's too high, we'll just learn to live with the powerlines going past the future house.

On Friday, I received another email with some comments from DPD Addressing, but those were just comments on making the access easement easier to see on the survey. Kinda picky, if you ask me.

The surveyor said he'd get the changes all done this week, stamped and notarized.

I guess I don't really have hope that rerouting the power will be a reasonable cost, or else I'd tell the surveyor to wait. I paced off the easement. I can make do with the existing power lines. It just won't be my perfect design.

2 comments:

Iris said...

Are you designing the house to go on the lot?

Sotosoroto said...

More or less. We might buy some plans to modify.