Friday, September 23, 2005

Green Desert - Chaper 1.1.4 - Bhanar


Mé‘ısí had hit something, but I couldn’t see what and I didn’t have time to figure it out. If that idiot wanted to kill me, he might just be back very soon. I calmly turned off the engine and jumped out of the cab, slamming the door shut out of habit. In the back, with all the rest of my boxed-up belongings, was an old rifle. But where had I packed it?

I vaulted up, balancing on the two-inch-wide side wall of the bed, holding onto an upright chair leg for support. Over there, by the ironing board Mom forced me to bring. I carefully leaned over, laying on top the boxes of clothes and books, and reached behind the ironing board. The gun case. I yanked it up just as I saw the headlights.

My heart pounded so hard I could barely work the zipper. Adrenaline rushed through my body, finally catching up with my situation. All sleepiness was gone. Time slowed down. That little brown car was taking forever to get to me. But I needed all the time I could get. Laying on my back, I pulled out the rifle, holding it parallel to the ground so they wouldn’t spot me. I hoped they wouldn’t spot me. The headlights illuminated my nose.

Bullets. Where were the bullets? Side pocket of the carrying case. Unzip, grab, lever back, bullet in, lever down, and I was ready. My aim would be way off with my high pulse, but I was ready.

It was the same car. He fired. I fired. He fired again.

2 comments:

The_Bloody_Sabre said...

Hey, love your blog!
Keep it up!
:D

Sotosoroto said...

Thanks, bloody!