Friday, September 30, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 1.2.6 - Fírí


Headlights approached and I figured it was the pickup at first, but then I saw it was a car––a police car, I saw as it flashed by. I could tell by the unlit red-and-green lights on top and the stripe down the side. I didn’t catch what the stripe said, though. I watched the cop in my mirror, but he didn’t turn around. Maybe they hadn’t made us, after all. I hoped.

I almost didn’t recognize the pickup––a house’s floodlights were on. Was the pickup driver going to shoot at me? Did he recognize the car? I slowed, uncertain. Maybe I should just blow by, as quick as possible. But I didn’t see anyone in the truck or near it. Maybe they were hurt and needed help. It was all Zhíno’s fault, but I’d carry the guilt if they died, not him.

I pulled off the highway and got out, hurried across the road to the truck. Its windshield was nothing but a spiderweb of broken glass. The door window only had a few shards remaining. I hesitated a couple steps away, but leaned forward, looking inside. Nothing. Nobody. I got close to check. Nothing but broken glass and some empty soda cans. The back of the truck was filled with boxes and furniture. Moving day. Just like me but with a lot more stuff.

A foot crunched on gravel. Way up near the house, a chubby old man in pajamas walked backwards, slowly.

“Hey!” I called. “Did you see where the driver went?”

Only then did I spot him lying on the driveway, rifle aimed directly between my eyes.

No comments: