Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 1.1.2 - Bhanar


I hadn’t seen any road signs for over an hour, and that got me worrying that I’d missed my turn. I was getting tired––maybe I’d messed up. Nothing around here but dark desert and stars. The gas gauge was on half. There’d have to be a gas station soon––sometime in the next hundred miles, there had to be. Or so I hoped. My pickup was a gas guzzler.

At least there was another car on this road, about a half mile ahead, heading the same direction. I hoped they knew where they were going. I’d unconsciously matched my speed to theirs, about fifteen over the limit. Their glowing red taillights topped a rise and winked out of sight.

I gave Mé‘ısí more gas and we charged up that hill. I wished my radio still worked. Maybe when I got to Suívıpíko, I’d stop and have someone look at it. Until then, Títımítí Day songs jingled through my brain––even though it was still the middle of summer.

Headlights cut through the air above me, then we each crested the hill and the other guy’s high beams blinded me. I flashed my highs at the jerk, hoping he’d show some courtesy or get a fricking clue.

And then my windshield exploded.

No comments: