Sunday, September 25, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 1.2.1 - Pí‘oro


“Pí‘oro, what was that?”

I looked at the bedroom’s black window. “Gunshots, I reckon.” I handed the remote to Vata. She took it jitterly, but flipped the tv over to the home shopping network quick enough. “Stay here.” I swung my legs out from under the covers and pushed myself up, sliding my feet into their slippers.

It took me far too long to get to the front door. Back in the day, I’d have been out of the bed and down the driveway like a shot. As it was, it took me a full minute to hobble to the entryway and flick on the outside lights.

“Take your coat,” Vata croaked from the bedroom.

I pulled my old greenish-black down jacket from the closet and slipped it on, one arm and then the other, over my flannel pajamas. Finally, I opened the door. The cold night air swirled into the house and I quickly stepped out and closed the door behind me. My keys weren’t in my pocket. I checked the knob. It was locked. Oh well. Vata could open it for me.

As I walked down the concrete path to the gravel driveway, I glanced toward the road. It was almost too far away for even my halogen floodlights, but I spotted a big pickup truck parked right where my mailbox used to be. Something moved in the back of the truck. I needed new glasses. A person, I could see now. He rolled out and landed on his feet, facing me, a rifle clutched in his hand.

No comments: