Monday, November 27, 2006

Hey, it's snowing!

It's not supposed to snow in Seattle. Really. This town just ain't ready for it. I-5 is a parking lot from the convention center north to infinity.

This morning, I drove to work because the roads were bare and I had some errands to run during lunch. My car is still at the office, but I'm not. I walked back home. About five minutes before it started hailing (followed shortly by big snow), I was contemplating going for a run after work. I think my jog/walk to get home will have to do.

Peering outside my window, I can see the moon now. The clouds are thinning out. We're in for a cooooold night.

Seattleites are more polite and friendly when it snows than any other time of year. Strangers say hi and chat with other strangers, discussing their shared troubles. Unless, of course, said stranger is in a car stuck behind someone who's spinning their tires and not proceeding through the green light. Then, they lay on the horn.

I have Christmas music playing and it finally feels appropriate. . . It's a cd that came from my dentist in Houston, who I haven't seen in years. Some songs are good. Others, not so much. The disc doesn't say who's singing any of them, and it's clearly different people for each.

So up 5th Avenue I walk:
02-5th
The cars moved, somewhat. I probably could've driven home safely, but it would've taken longer.

04-LibraryLamp
This was near the new library and community center. Kids were playing in the snow in the field there. This place is starting to feel like an actual neighborhood.

07-NorthgatePedestrians
Let's go shopping!

Hiking up 5th Avenue, I hurried along. My forehead started getting cold. I put my hand to my head and felt a layer of ice. Melted snow, refrozen slush. No wonder my head was cold! And brush that snow out of my hair.

I briefly talked to another walker who left his car at the mall. He wanted to get home in time to watch the Seahawks game. He asked me where a nearby pub was, but I couldn't think of any. Still can't. After I left him behind, he flagged down a passing SUV and hitched a ride. See? Friendly strangers!

12-Roosevelt
This is the driveway of the building just north of mine. No tracks whatsoever for most of it.

All in all, snow is a pain, but fun. And I finally found a reason to be thankful my shoes have a goretex lining. My feet stayed warm and dry!

Now I think I'll make a large snowman on my balcony. . .

No comments: