Wednesday, November 29, 2006

New Orleans, here comes Rice

So Rice is in a bowl game, the New Orleans Bowl, on December 22, playing against Troy State University. I wish they were picked for the Armed Forces Bowl (in Fort Worth), playing against Utah. But that's just because I know about the Utah Utes and don't even know what state Troy is in. Alabama? And what's their mascot, anyway? It better not be Trojans. Or maybe it should be.

In any case, Rice isn't going to gain anything by playing a SunBelt Conference team, even if they are the champions. I wish they had the opportunity to play an SEC team or some such, and show how much better they are than early in the season (when Rice lost by 50 points to Texas and then another 50 points to Florida State).

Well, at least this way, the Rice Owls will be the favorite. And New Orleans is a nicer town to visit than Fort Worth.

But I'm not going. That's too close to the crazy Christmas travel days. I'll just find a television at 5 p.m. PST on Friday, December 22, to plant myself in front of. Hmmm. . . I just might stay at the office. We've got ESPN2 in HD!

3 comments:

Sotosoroto said...

I thought Troy University was different than Troy State University, but I think they've dropped the "State" recently. They actually have a campus in Ft Lewis, Wash. Well, "campus" is a bit of a stretch. Troy is in room B-146 in building 6242.

I wonder if City University has a football team...

Sotosoroto said...

And yes, both schools get $750,000.

Pedicularis said...

Have you noticed that your football team from Rice is now far higher in the polls than the once mighty UW Huskies?