Thursday, April 11, 2013

March 19 - Escape to Hapuna

Another sunny day in Hawai‘i.

Palms in the Pond

We strolled around the Hilton Waikoloa resort grounds, from one end to the other. They have a tiny zoo with some flamingos and nenes.

Whatcha Looking At

In the Grid

Hilton's Canal

Without much food, I was starting to crash but Chunlin was doing fine. We had breakfast at Water’s Edge. I had the buffet; Chunlin had the continental. Good omelet. Good baked goods. Not sure it was worth $29, but I was hungry.

Palace Lawn

We headed back to our hotel room and finished watching _Skyfall_. 10 o’clock. Time to relax. The waves just keep coming, but I can’t photograph them all.

When afternoon rolled around, I got itchy feet. We packed up, took the train to the car, and drove north to popular Hapuna Beach.

Hapuna Frog

We slathered on the sunscreen, staked out a patch of sand, and jumped into the ocean. It was cool and refreshing at first, but quickly felt warm as my body adjusted. Coming back out, I tripped in the shallow water on a random deep spot and performed a graceful faceplant on the sand.

Welcome to Hapuna Beach

Next time out, I belly-flopped into a vertical wave face -- slap!

Lots of people on the beach and in the water. Boogie boarders were catching waves. Once, I timed my jump just right so I managed to catch a wave without a board. I cruised on in to shore. Every other time a wave came in, I drank too much salt water. It stings the nose.

Chunlin in the Ocean

Chunlin kept her head dry, most of the time. I mostly didn’t get sunburned.

Hapuna through the Trees

And thus ends the tale of our day at the beach.

No comments: