Saturday, January 20, 2007

I Win!

Chunlin must've given me all her luck. We went to the Bellevue Home Show last weekend, and each filled out several slips for prize drawings.

She hasn't won anything, but I've now won a home stereo system, three nights accommodation in Oregon or B.C., a Lake Washington champagne cruise, and a home security/fire alarm system.

I told the alarm system guy that I'd be selling my current home soon. He said it could wait till my new place.

The catch on the stereo, hotel, and boatride is that I have to go sit through a 90-minute spiel about a resort travel agency timeshare (and pay for travel/food for the three-night trip). The catch on the alarm system is that I'd have to pay for monitoring (about $400/year).

But then again, I don't really need monitoring if just the system itself (and a sign out front) will deter burglars, now do I? After all, the man on the phone said homes with systems are 1,500% less likely to be burgled. So it doesn't really matter if anyone's listening, if no one is going to break in!

I wonder what percentage of those entered win prizes? I'd guess 100% for the timeshare. . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We won too!

We get a 2-night/3 day trip to Las Vegas, Jamaica, Cancun, or Orlando. Also we will get a $500 gift certificate to a shopping website (we have to pay shipping and handling on items purchased) Hmmm... Wonder how over-priced those items are? Or will the shipping be more expensive than the item? Some ebay sellers do that.

What do we need to do to get all of that! We need to sit through a 90 minutes sales pitch/arm twist/gullibility test on Discount Travel club.

We also won $1000 on the $1100 home security system from a company in Oregon. Monitoring costs just over "a dollar a day." I asked if I was the only person to win. Well, no. Entries of people who are 25 or older whom own their own home won. lol

Be careful if you go to the time-share pitch. You have genes susceptible to sales pitches. Your father and I went to one once saying we had no intention of buying. To my shock, he was leaning to saying yes. NO!!!! NO!!! NO!!!! We didn't buy, but walked away with a free trip to Reno and some little door gift. Time-shares are a terrible investment. There are monthly dues and getting a popular location is near to impossible. Then there are maintenance fees. What a scam!

~Mom

Pedicularis said...

Well, no wonder the costs are high; they need to pay for all those free trips somehow. Airplane fuel takes cold hard cash to buy.