Sunday, October 21, 2007

Guess What? It Rained!

It rained a lot this weekend. . .

Usually when it rains on backpacking trips, I don't *know* that's it's going to rain, beforehand. Sometimes there's a chance of rain, or perhaps it's a multi-day trip and we just don't trust the forecast that far out.

This time, however, there was absolutely no chance that it would not rain on Saturday. It had dumped on Thursday, dumped on Friday, and -- guess what? -- it rained Saturday. No downpours. No hail. No lightning. But rain it did, all day long.

And into the night, too.

When we arrived at Goldmyer, one of the men from a large group asked the caretaker, "Does it always rain here?"

She answered, "Yes."

I chimed in, "I though it had stopped raining!" Which it had, sort of. Down to a heavy mist.

It rained well into the night. My tent kept us warm and dry (other than a few drip spots, such as over my face). By morning, however, it had mostly stopped raining. True, it didn't sound like it from inside the tent, but that was just tree-drip.

Halfway back to the car, the rain had started up again, but not enough for me to dig out my pack cover, or Chunlin her poncho.

No comments: