Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Ukrainians

When I called Goldmyer's office to tell them our arrival time would be in the afternoon instead of morning (unneccessary now -- they don't require precise arrival times), I was told that a group of twelve would be at the hot springs on Saturday during the day. Therefore, a late arrival would be perfect, since we'd be arriving just as they were leaving.

I calculated a good departure time would be three o'clock, to get back to the freeway before dark. (Based on their four-hour travel time.)

The group of twelve was still signing in when we arrived at four o'clock.

Half of them had matching red-and-gray ponchos. Some of the girls had fur-lined coats. The caretaker said that one of them asked if there were any restaurants nearby.

I guessed they were Russian, from their accents, but they were actually from Ukraine. Or Sacramento. Or both.

Chunlin and I picked a campsite and set up the tent while they tramped up the hill. We decided to go eat dinner at the shelter by the springs, and then get in the water when they left.

Some of them hadn't even made it into the springs by the time we got up the hill.

Chunlin and I ate our dinner of snacks, but the Ukrainians hadn't left yet. So we joined them in the pools. They all wore swimsuits, so we did too. And here I thought Europeans were more open about public nudity.

Around 5:30, they started getting dressed, getting out their flashlights, and heading down the trail. I'm sure the long walk in the dark was fun, especially with the heavy rain and the mud puddles.

I wonder if they'll ever come back?

No comments: