Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 8.5.4 - Vata


I could save her. Maybe if I showed my helping nature, they’d believe me. If I healed my accuser, surely they’d think I wasn’t afraid of her lies.

I shuffled past the police car. “I can help. I can save her.”

The light-haired young man shook his head, his hands still raised. “She’s dead.”

I glanced at him and demanded, “I can save her.” But I’d never brought anyone back to life. And Névazhíno had abandoned me. But I still had power within myself. And maybe He would listen now, to save this girl’s life, despicable though that life may be.

“How?”

She sprawled awkwardly on the driveway, her feet underneath her. A gaping, wet wound sat motionless in the center of her chest. Bullet to the heart. No breathing, no heartbeat. Quite, quite dead.

“Bring me the horse. And a knife.” Did I need the ceremonial knife? No. I could do without. It was just decoration, fluff, nothing to do with the actual spell. If I focused on the rest of the ritual, on the words and the emotion, the knife didn’t matter. Nor the braziers. Nor the altar.

Raíngozé handed me a multi-blade knife, the largest blade extended. Sévo led the horse to us.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Sétıpímo whispered.

I put my hand on Arıparapé’s shoulder just in front of the saddle. “O Névazhíno!” I raised my eyes to the night sky. “Please hear these words from Your humble servant! I will always honor You.” I touched my hand to Fírí’s wound and flicked blood onto the horse. “I beseech You!”

No comments: