Saturday, May 06, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 8.6.3 - Zhíno


The helicopter circled us and touched down thirty meters away. A policeman jumped out and ran towards us, the underwear-clad Bhanar right behind him. One of the deputies shoved my back and I stumbled forward.

Three cops, handcuffs, a helicopter. I had no more escape. Not even if I grabbed one of their guns would I survive a minute. I shuffled towards the helicopter with my head down.

I had totally fucked this up. I should be free now, and rich. Just me and Fírí on our new farm, beautiful green in the red desert. But no. Not to be.

Last night. I fucked up last night. We were in the clear and I freaked out. Nothing bad had happened, so what did I do? I made something bad happen. I freaked out and shot at Bhanar.

I looked up at the foreigner. He and Séara hugged one another just ahead of me. I stopped beside them and they released each other. “What do you want?” demanded the kid.

I sighed and shook my head. “I. . . I’m sorry, Bhanar. I. . .” I shrugged at my feeble apology. “I’m sorry. I should’ve just kept driving, delivered the guns, and you’d’ve never heard of me.”

Bhanar stared at me, his dark eyes unblinking. “You will die for this. I promise you.” And he turned away, walking toward the helicopter.

The policewoman glanced at him, took a step that direction, then looked at me. “What guns?”

“Come on!” yelled a medic. “We need to get to the hospital.”

No comments: