Monday, May 08, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 8.6.4 - Séara


Bhanar! I rushed past Zhudıro and before I knew it, I was in Bhanar’s arms. “You’re alive!” His bare back was cold to my hands.

He smiled at me, his face peaceful. “Yes. You captured Zhíno.”

“Yes.”

We remained in tight embrace. Was he going to kiss me? His head bobbed a bit, but stopped, our noses ten centimeters apart. His eyes glinted with happiness.

Suddenly he looked away, loosening his grip on me. Zhudıro stood beside us. “What do you want?” Bhanar’s eyes no longer held joy. He stepped back, dropping his arms from me.

“I. . . I’m sorry, Bhanar. I’m sorry. I should’ve just kept driving, delivered the guns, and you’d’ve never heard of me.”

Bhanar growled, “You will die for this, I promise you.” And he stalked away. Away from Zhudıro. Away from me.

But what had Zhudıro just said? Guns? “What guns?”

“Come on! We need to get to the hospital!”

I grabbed the prisoner’s arm and pulled him towards the helicopter. Tépíto followed a few steps behind, his gun still drawn.

Delivering guns. But to whom? And why?

I ducked into the dusty wind, one hand still on Zhudıro, the other over my eyes and nose. We reached the helicopter and Míkoízo practically threw Zhudıro inside, as much as helping him up. I hopped in, Bhanar giving me a hand.

Tépíto climbed aboard, shut the door, and we lifted off.

No comments: