Thursday, May 04, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 8.5.5 - Bhanar


We lifted the dead policewoman into the airlift helicopter. I paused and caught the dark-skinned cop’s eyes. “We must chase Zhíno. I know where he is.” At least, I used to. A starting point, at least. We climbed in after the dead deputy.

“Nulıpésha and Laparıpasamé have gone after him.” He didn’t looked pleased by their action.

The medics lifted Pí‘oro’s body into the helicopter and began securing the dead bodies and checking on the living one.

“We can find them, too, if you know the direction they went.”

A paramedic cut in. “We have to get this man to the hospital. Let’s take off,” he called to the pilot.

The blades spun up and we lifted. I grabbed a handle on the bulkhead and crouched down. The wind made conversation impossible. I’d lost my chance to convince them.

The dark desert blurred by, the trees of the gully beneath us.

Lights. On the ground, little lights swung around. Flashlights. “Hey!” I pointed, grabbed the cop’s arm.

He looked and the pilot must’ve seen, too, because we abruptly began circling the lights, spiraling closer.

The flashlights waved back and forth and I caught a glimpse of a third person without a flashlight, standing with his hands together. Even with just a brief glimpse, I recognized that bastard. Zhíno. In handcuffs. They caught him. I laughed with joy. Séara caught him.

We landed nearby and the tall cop jumped to the ground, racing over to his colleagues. I hopped out as well, running for Séara.

No comments: