Sunday, April 10, 2005

Day 10 - Athina/Athens

It's warm here. And crowded. And I have blisters. And I don't know if it's all the cigarettes or what, but my nose has been stuffed up/irritated for days now. And they wouldn't let me take my backpack onto the Acropolis even though there were plenty others with backpacks -- and not all of them were women who could claim them as "purses." Well, enough complaining. (-;

Anybody recognize this building?

Parthenon

What surprised me most about the Acropolis was how much raw stone was still showing everywhere. I guess the Greeks wanted to remain close to mother earth, eh?

Acropolis

This next one is a chapel right next to the cathedral (the chapel used to be the cathedral).

Church of Agios Eleftherios

I didn't realize until I got inside that there was a casket right there in the middle and that explained why everybody was wearing black.... Whoops. They weren't having a service, but there were several mourners in the chairs and people were coming in and kissing the portrait of the deceased and leaving out the side door. Next time I'll pay attention!

Here's my first view of the Acropolis last night.

Erechtheion

That's the Erechtheion, the building that has the caryatids on the other side.

Athens' Sunday flea market. Lots o' junk.

Sunday Flea Market

And by request, here's one of the Blue Mosque from Istanbul, with all six minarets showing!

Blue Mosque

2 comments:

Pedicularis said...

Hot, crowded, blisters, cigarette smoke? Lipsi sounds far better. I think you sold me on visiting the Greek Islands. :)

Sotosoroto said...

Well, the cigarettes and blisters have been for the whole trip, pretty much. I'm sure the islands would be hot and crowded in summertime....