Thursday, April 14, 2005

Day 14 - Ioannina

ABBA wrote a song about this city. Sing along now: "I-o-an-ni-na, keep on rockin' baby, till the night is gone... I-o-an-ni-na..."

I awoke well rested. It's raining. Steady drizzle.

In the U.S., speed limits are taken as suggestions. In Greece, they're completely ignored. When driving in Greece you must be careful because corners are poorly marked, guardrails are few and far between, and you never know when a herd of cattle will be in your way.

Road to Monodendri

Here's one for any civil engineers who happen to be reading:

Plakida Bridge

As you can see, it's rainy and foggy and quite dreary, but at least the views are still good.

Vikos Gorge from Tsepelovo road

But in fact, I did find somewhere where it wasn't raining.

Road to Vradheto

This was on the road up and around and back and forth and hairpin turn after hairpin turn to Vradheto, where the old "road" is a staircase cut into the rocks. After the stairs at the Meteora, though, I didn't feel like a few miles hiking in the rain to see these up close. I got some distant views of them from the road, though.

I went to the only laundry in town, but they're full up for the day. Tomorrow, then. I can't very well hang out my clothes to dry in the rain! Smelly clothes for one more day.

...And here I thought this post would be really short. What do I know?

3 comments:

bablu said...

Just leapfrogged to your blog. Those are wonderful photos. Keep clicking n' flicking n' blogging.

Sotosoroto said...

Welcome, Bablu. Thanks!

Now where are everybody else's comments? Don't you know it's eight o'clock in Seattle??? Sleepyheads. (-:

Anonymous said...

It's 9am here -- and I'm envious of your weather! Cool and rainy and you can still see everything.

-Reni