Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Day 20 - Ljubljana

You guys only comment if I post pictures, eh? Well, fine. I'll post some pictures.

Here's the short and straight "Canal Grande" of Trieste. Note the gray weather.

Canal Grande

That blue dome down on the right is the local Orthodox church. Here's the inside of that dome:

Chiesa di Santo Spiridione

I took the daily bus from Trieste to Ljubljana since the bus schedule actually worked in my favor this time instead of against, as had been the norm.) If I tzpe anz words odd, itćs because the y and the z are swapped, as well as some other kezs. Ićm trzing, though.=

Slovenia is rolling hills of forests and farmlands. The houses have much crisper edges than those of points south. The closer to Ljubljana we got, the more German and less Mediterranean everything seemed. Darker colors on the buildings, for one.

Still drizzly in the Slovenian capital. Everywhere so far takes credit cards, which is completely unusual for my trip. I did get $50-worth of Tolarjev out of an ATM when I finallz found one, though. What with the Seattle-like weather and the use of credit cards, I decided to stay in familiar territory and thus went to dinner at the best Mexican restaurant in town. No burritos or enchiladas on the menu.

Here's the hallway at my hostel. It's converted from a prison, apparently, but you can't really tell anymore.

Celicia Hostel

The hostel has free internet, but that involves a Linux computer that nobody had any idea of how to see the files on my camera (or any idea of where the camera was in the computer's directory, or any idea how to find the computer's directory. DIR didn't help none.)

It's still raining and there's a bunch of college kids back at the hostel. I feel old.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Mexican restaurant that didn't serve burritos or enchiladas?? What did they serve?

-Reni

Pedicularis said...

I'm home again. If I understand your travel topography, the best way to get from Dbrovnick to Ljubljana is through Trieste? BTW, how in the WORLD do you pronounce these place names? You have not provided a pronunciation guide since Kusadasi. Duh-BRAV-nik? Lu-BLAH-na? Lah-YOU-bull-YAW-na? Tree-EST-ay?

Anonymous said...

Such an answer if Canal Grande is your way of saying: You want photos, I'll do photos! It could truly hang in an art gallery with its clouds, perspective, reflections and historic buildings. Gorgeous. ~ Mariner 7

Sotosoroto said...

doo-BROHV-nik. tree-ES-tay. LOO-blee-ah-nah. (or rather, LEEOO-bleeah-nah. The "lj" is like the "li" in million.)