Sunday, April 03, 2005

Day 4 - İstanbul

Going for an early-morning walk to find an ATM, I turn the corner and WHAM the Blue Mosque on the hill above me, slapping me back to reality that I'm here on the far side of the planet from home. And yet, even as it pulls me back to reality, the mosque itself floats there, unreal, a giant mountain of beautiful domes and towering minarets, hazy in the twilight.

I took a walk down to the shore to eat my breakfast. Sunrise on the Sea of Marmara, little wavelets reflecting pink and blue. Freighters dotting the sea, heading for Ukraine, perhaps? There's one rusted freighter on its side, right by the seawall, looking like it took out part of the concrete wall when it tipped over. It has graffiti all over it.

This touristing business is hard work, I tell you. I was all pooped out by three yesterday. I'll take my time today, though.

3 comments:

Pedicularis said...

We're feeling so very sorry for you, Mr. "all pooped out." We already have an inch of rain in April here in Seattle, and I saw one forecast with rain on every day until April 13th. Make us happy, post more photos. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, we're all envious, back here in this place I'm sure you don't want to be reminded of!! Very cool!!!

Chandira

Anonymous said...

Hey Sotosoroto, I, a mere friend of your P's, am quite impressed with your trip, this journal, and quite frankly your literacy! Guess
no one can say they "wasted" the big bucks on your education - you SCORED!! Now can't wait to see thru your eyes of course - all that
you will see and do. Don't bother about us however, all rusting away in your home city... THIS is quite the adventure for you and I'm thrilled for you and that you're quite excited about it all yourself. PS: "when in Rome..." in other words, save Subway for when you're REALLY sick of native food. "Try it all." Let us know how that goes! And... PPS: keep up
the great posts! I'm a FAN!
Love, Guadalahara