Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Alcohol + Cake = Bad

To celebrate our successful move, we had champagne and cake Monday afternoon. That evening and all of Tuesday, I had intestinal pains that reminded me of the day after the Halloween party. I went home sick around midday. Different symptoms, but still painful symptoms. At the Halloween party, I only had cupcakes and drinks. Either there's some ingredient in cake that I have an intolerance for, or it's the alcohol, or it's just a coincidence. I'm back at work now, but still on soup and crackers, though.

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

Hmm..
sounds like maybe some sort of food allergy.
Sometimes intestinal pain can correspond with intestinal swelling which indicates an allergic reaction.

The Misanthrope said...

I like my alcohol straight. I don't want it in candy, cakes or punch.

Pedicularis said...

Houston, you have a problem. But perhaps you have on the head the nail hit. "Don't eat cake with alcohol!"

For what it is worth, in 1992, I worked for a small company near the original Red Hook Brewery in Seattle, and it was standard fare to celebrate birthdays with chocolate cake and beer. No one got sick, but I can't say that I liked the combination!