Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 4.2.5 - Vata


The cow lay beside the altar, drugged. We’d never sacrificed a large animal before, so I didn’t have a way of getting it on top the rock slab. I only hoped that Névazhíno would hear the ritual anyway. I didn’t want to needlessly kill a cow.

The knife was comforting in my hand, reflecting all eight braziers. I’d closed both doors, so now the entire room danced with a multitude of flickering shadows. In my other hand, I held a small chalice of purified and sanctified blood––a mixture of human, cow, pig, rabbit, sheep, cat, dog and several other animals.

I stood beside the sleeping cow and exhaled slowly. And inhaled even slower. My heart calmed. My body and soul relaxed. Finally, when my spirit was ready, I intoned, “O Névazhíno, God of All Animals, I beseech You.”

The sanctified blood poured over the cow in a thin stream, tracing from head to hindquarters. It seeped into her hair, staining the tan into scarlet-black.

“O Névazhíno, please hear the words of Your humble servant, one of Your devout worshippers, one of Your faithful animals.”

The knife, long and sharp, pressed against the throat of the cow. Her skin dented, then split, fresh blood spilling around the steel blade. The knife dug deeper, slid across her neck. Crimson spurted past the cow’s head, into the surrounding darkness.

“O Névazhíno, most pure and noble of all the gods, I beg of You, please hear me, listen to me, speak to me.”

No comments: