Friday, December 23, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 4.3.2 - Sétıpímo


I led Tamé to the rear door and exited into the sunlight. The small, fenced-in parking lot had two light poles, a tow truck, and nothing else.

“So, where’s the car?”

Tamé took two steps and pointed at the asphalt. “Right here.”

I saw nothing but an empty parking stall. “That’s nothing but an empty parking stall.”

“But that’s where I parked it.” He removed his cap and scratched his scalp, looking around.

I joined my hands behind me and walked past Tamé along the concrete sidewalk. At the corner of the building, where the chainlink fence met the wall, the five-meter-wide gate stood completely open. I gazed through the opening, down the alley, back to the street. No car. Nobody.

“Now who would be bold enough to steal a car out of a police station’s parking lot?” I glanced at Tamé, who had followed me. “Did you lock the gate?”

“It was open when I got here.”

That would be a no. “Do you think Zhudırı might have followed you here?”

Tamé smiled for some reason. “No, I doubt that. I wouldn’t recognized any of those cars in my rearview mirror.”

Whatever was going on today, none of it was coincidence. “I’ll call you if I have further questions.”

No comments: