Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 4.1.5 - Bhanar


I hugged Séara around her waist, the two guns clanking against each other. She smelled like roses.

“Heeyah!”

The horse sprang forward and I tightened my hold, leaning into Séara. She never once let me pull her back. We galloped. I closed my eyes, concentrating on the rhythm, matching Séara as we bounced smoothly. I loosened my legs and the horse accelerated. Wind whistled past us. Séara’s dark, shoulder-length ponytail flapped against my face. I sank closer to her, turned my head so my cheek and my nose pressed against her neck, just above her collar. Soft and warm skin. Nothing but well-toned muscle under her uniform, under my arms. I could stay that way forever, hold her forever, our hearts and lungs and bodies as one, forever.

She slowed the horse.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, not pulling away.

“Junction.”

I looked over her shoulder. Two trails branched off, like so many other forks in this desert maze. “How do we––”

“Footprints.” And she kicked the horse back into a gallop.

I closed my eyes. As long as I stayed with Séara, I would never be lost again. Sure, she knew how to ride a horse better than me, how to shoot a gun better than me, and could probably beat me up without breaking a sweat, but . . . that’s just sexy.

No comments: