Monday, December 05, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 3.5.4 - Bhanar


I swung my leg over the horse, hopped with the other. I made it up on the first try, hugging the horse’s warm back so I didn’t fall off. Maybe I should’ve used a saddle. But bareback always worked in the movies. And it was quicker.

The horse eyeballed me, snorted.

“Oh, shut up. I know what I’m doing.”

I sat up slightly, nudged his ribs with my heels. He stood still awhile longer, but seemed to shrug and then walk forwards. The other horse neighed.

“Sorry, buddy. I only need one horse.” A slightly quicker horse, perhaps.

I kicked his ribs again and he moseyed faster. We emerged into the sun. The nearest gate was still closed. Wrong order, idiot. I pushed the horse with my knee and leaned the direction I wanted him to go and generally got him to walk to the gate and turn sideways. The latch was too low. My hand flailed a full foot short and I almost fell off. If I fell off now, I’d never get back on. The horse kept looking at me.

I was taking forever, but I consoled myself in the fact that once I got going, I’d catch them in no time.

I reached out with my bare foot, grabbed the latch between two toes, lifted. It worked. I kicked the big gate and it swung wide open.

“Ha!” I hugged the horse’s neck and kicked his ribs, willing him to run.

He walked out the gate, toward a nearby trail. I kicked again. He broke into a bouncy gait, nearly throwing me in the process. I held on tight, repeatedly being slammed by his spine. I hurt.

No comments: