Monday, December 12, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 4.1.3 - Bhanar


Séara threw the tshirt at my face. I raised my hands and caught it, almost falling backwards off the horse.

“Put it on.”

“Why?” It was hot out there.

She looked down at me––even though I had three feet on her. “You’re going to get a sunburn if you stay out here much longer. At least the shirt will protect your shoulders.” She shook her head, smiling wryly. “Where are you from, anyway?”
“Zhuphío.”

“Ah.” She glanced upwards. “Sun’s not so big out there, huh?”

I shook my head. “No. Warm, not hot.”

“More ultraviolet rays here. Put on the tshirt.”

I did. It reeked of sweat and beer and blood. Zhíno’s. Where had she found Zhíno’s shirt?

Séara patted the horse on its neck, turned it easily around. “Scoot back a bit.”

“Why?” I wasn’t going to be able to hold the horse’s neck if I did that.

She huffed and glared at me, suddenly looking very much like a police officer. “Stop questioning me. Just do it.”

I scooted back, gripping the horse with my rubbed-raw legs. “Did you find Zhíno’s jeans, too?”

She handed both guns to me. “Yes, but I left them. I didn’t realize you’d be stupid enough to take a horse. Lean back.”

I leaned.

She leapt, her heel missing my teeth by inches, and landed astride the horse right in front of me. “Hold on.”

No comments: