Thursday, December 15, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 4.2.1 - Sétıpímo


“Sir, she’s not answering her radio.”

I held the phone away from my mouth and sighed. What was that girl thinking? “Hopefully she’s interrogating a handcuffed Zhudırı and has just forgotten to check back in.”

“Yes, probably.” I sensed my own doubt in his voice. “I’ll let you know as soon as she reports, sir.”

“Thank you.” I hung up the phone on my desk and leaned back in my chair. The grid ceiling stared down at me, fluorescent lights flickering.

I knew the boys up in Sémı‘ıréíso didn’t want me out in the filed no more, but Nulıpéshı needed help. She was a smart girl. She wouldn’t reported in by now. Standard protocol.

The glass front door opened, letting in muted street noise and Tamé Vékídıpaírı, the towtruck driver. He removed his green cap and ran a hand through his thin hair. He spotted me from across the empty office.

I sat up in my chair.

Tamé started walking towards me. “I got the car, Mr. Marıdırı. Parked it around back.”

I nodded. “Good.” I paused. “The Kılímı place, right?”

He stopped across my desk from me. “Yep, and aren’t those two a strange pair. I ain’t never known––”

“Son? Shut up.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Was Deputy Nulıpéshı there when you left?”

No comments: