Sunday, December 18, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 4.2.3 - Bhanar


Several intersections later, I saw trees in the near distance. A row starting with a clump just right of straight ahead, stretching off to the left in ever-decreasing numbers.

Séara turned her head slightly. “Looks like a spring. That’s probably where they went.”

“A spring? But this is a desert,” I said to the back of her ear.

“There’s a big aquifer below us. Everybody has wells. Sometimes the water finds the surface by itself.”

Her voice reverberated like temple bells, alto and smooth. Satin sheets.

The trail veered slightly right, turning toward the clump of trees which must house the spring itself. Séara slowed the horse to third gear, let it trot along as we neared the trees. Then down to the bouncing gait and finally a walk. The horse’s fur foamed a bit. Séara patted his neck, murmuring something.

I reluctantly loosened my grip around her waist and sat back slightly, straightening up. She leaned back with me, keeping contact. My pulse quickened.

“So. . .” I said.

The trail ahead of us dove into bushes. Séara stopped the horse. “Get off,” she whispered. She grabbed my hands. “Give me the guns.”

“Should not I have one?”

She hesitated, her hands soft and warm, then released my left hand. I gave her the gun from my right. Two hands on her waist, I swung my leg back and over. I flew through the air, stumbled, but stayed on my feet.

No comments: