Monday, December 19, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 4.2.4 - Sétıpímo


Tamé lowered an eyebrow at me. “Yep. She went off racing around the side of the house like Pétíso was on her tail.”

That didn’t sound quite to be standard procedure. “Did you see Zhíno Zhudırı while you were there?”

“Who? The car’s owner?” He shook his head, waved a hand. “Nah. They said he was in their ‘chapel.’”

I stared at him. Why’d he emphasize that word? “You mean here in town?” Which god did the Kılímıs worship?

“Nope. She meant a room in their house.” He grinned lopsided. “It told you they were weird.”

If Zhudırı was in a chapel in the house, why was Nulıpéshı running around the outside? Either somebody had lied to Tané or the deputy, or Zhudırı was on the move. Which meant he was dangerous.

“Pétíso.”

I reached for the phone, flipped through my rolodex, found Deputy Laparıpısamı’s home number, dialed. Tamé just stood there with his hands in his overall pockets while the phone rang in my ear. And rang. And rang.

“Hello?” A woman, out of breath.

“This is Detective Marıdırı. May I speak to Deputy Laparıpısamı?”

“I’m sorry, but. . . but he’s not here.” Her voice trailed off. I’d never called his house before.

“Find him and tell him to call the dispatcher.” I hung up. “Well, let’s go see this car.” And maybe visit the Kılímıs in the process.

No comments: