Thursday, January 05, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 4.4.3 - Zhíno


From the nothingness emerged Névazhíno. He snapped His several rows of teeth at me as He circled, but I knew He wasn’t serious. His tail wagged.

I lowered my head in greeting, maintaining eye contact. “Hello.”

“Good day, Zhíno. Are you well?”

“‘Well’? I have no pain, thanks to You. I have no sorrow, thanks to You. I have no worries, thanks to You.”

He flicked His antlers at me, tossed His head. “You have no hope, thanks to yourself. You have no joy, thanks to yourself. You have no life, thanks to yourself.”

I shrugged and coiled around myself. “We all must live with our decisions.”

“You are avoiding yours.” The words echoed in my head. Névazhíno’s spiked tail swung towards me, four razor-sharp spikes aimed to gore.

I burrowed deep and quick, but not quick enough. The God of Animals grabbed my hind leg with His powerful jaws.

No pain. No bones cracked. No flesh tore.

Instead, a jolt of energy washed through my body, electrifying each and every cell.

The wave subsided and I felt a warm breeze on my skin from head to toe. I opened my eyes. Green leaves fluttering against a blue sky. I tried to soar into the air, to fly above the forest, but my body didn’t respond.

A policewoman stepped into view, gun pointed down at me.

No comments: