Monday, January 16, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 4.6.1 - Fírí


I had no clue why the horse was there and I didn’t care. I needed to get back to civilization and I for damn sure wasn’t going to limp the whole way if I didn’t have to.

“Good horsey, good horsey. Don’t mind me.”


I hobbled up to it. The bay horse looked at me with big brown eyes. I patted its face, down to its nose.


“Over to this rock here. Good horsey.” A nearby rock, almost knee-high, a good stepstool.


The horse followed my coaxing and I soon sat astride its back. My feet thanked me profusely.


I leaned forward and put a hand on either side of the base of its neck, patted it. “Let’s go.” And I kicked it sharply with my heels.


It responded quickly, cantering toward the start of a trail through the brush. This horse might just know where it’s going.


I kicked its ribs again. It galloped. The hot air turned into a cool breeze. The desert flashed past, gangly bushes missing us by centimeters. Trails branched off this way or that, but the horse knew where it was going.


What would I find when I got back to the house? Vata would still be there. She would’ve moved her car and then the towtruck driver would’ve taken our car away. I hoped to Pétíso those last two boxes weren’t important. And that nobody had found the other boxes in the garage. I could still get good money for them, probably.


Of course, I had absolutely no idea who I could sell illegal weapons to, but I couldn’t just leave them for the cops or the raping Kılímos.

No comments: