Monday, January 30, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 5.2.1 - Irézí


“That’s right, Taíséma!” I gave the camera smile number seven––pensive excitement. “I’m standing in front of the home of Pí‘oro and Vata Kılímo, where the police are inside at this very moment questioning Mrs. Kılímo about her recent run-in with the prime suspect in last night’s killing of State Patrol Officer Vakıgéda.” I switched my smile to number two––heartfelt sorrow––but only momentarily.

Past Nıléké and his camera, I saw the two stupid urbanites crowding closer. At least they were silent now. Behind me, a patrolman wandered around, feet crunching gravel.

On my headphone, I heard the idiot deskjockey ask, “Have you seen any indications that the suspect is in the house or nearby?”

I knew Taíséma––and the viewers––could see the patrolman. Did she think he looked worried about a nearby gunman?

Smile number seven remained. “No, Taíséma. He appears to have fled the area. But I’m sure he gave Mrs. Kılímo quite a fright today.” Smile three––knowledgeable friend. “This is the same house where the suspect had a shootout with a sheriff’s deputy last night after the murder.”

The patrolman’s footsteps grew louder.

In my ear, the bitch asked, “Do you have any new information to give us?”

“Excuse me, miss.” The patrolman.

I turned to face him, briefly flashing smile twelve––happy with a hint of sexy. Nıléké walked sideways to capture both of us better on camera. Before I could ask the officer anything, he said, “Could you move your van?”

No comments: