Monday, January 23, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 4.6.6 - Zhíno


“No fucking way,” exclaimed the foreign kid. He started setting the old man down and I had to, too.

“We have to try,” I retorted. “We can’t just leave him to die.” I knelt beside him, pressing on the bullet wound.

The dark-haired guy pointed down to the gully. “He tried to kill me, you know? I am not . . . inclined to help him now.”

Pí‘oro’s face was growing pale. Even if we ran with him, he’d die at the current rate.

The brunette just stood there. The kid turned away.

I was glad my life wasn’t in his hands after he shot me. After I shot at him. To his bare back, I said, “I’m sorry I shot at you. I’m sorry I got you into this mess.” I was, truly. I didn’t mean to get him involved. He had nothing to do with any of this. Then again, neither had Pí‘oro.

The foreigner ran back down into the gully.

“Bhanar!” shouted the cop.

“Forget him. Help me with Mr. Kılímo.”

She looked down at me. “What do you need?”

I couldn’t hold this wadded-up tshirt there forever. “I need something to tie around his waist, hold the bandage on.”

She knelt down opposite me. “Let’s use his shirt.” She started unbuttoning the cotton shirt.

I had to lift up the tshirt briefly to get Pí‘oro’s shirt off. A mess of bloody, torn, indescribable organs stared up at me from the hole.

No comments: