Saturday, January 28, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 5.1.5 - Fírí


“No, should I have seen them?” Whoever Séara was, they’d apparently gone chasing after us. They’d taken the horse. But why no saddle? That was just stupid.

“Bhanar went out the window after you. Séara––Deputy Nulıpésha––ran out the front door but I don’t think she’s here any longer. Not from what Deputy Laparıpasamı said.”

I nodded. The police had hunted us, tracked us down. If the deputy had been on the horse, that meant she’d captured Pí‘oro and Zhíno. Served them right. I hoped the fat bastard resisted arrest and got shot. That would serve him right for raping me.

Vata turned away, shuffled back toward the house.

“Please hurry,” I whispered loudly. “This toe really, really hurts.” But I didn’t think she heard me.

I sat down on a sturdy footstool. The horse in the other stall flicked its tail.

Okay. So how was I going to get the police to return during the sacrifice? If I was out cold on the slab, I could hardly be the one to call them. That would leave too much to chance. The old woman may not have a dick, but she could still violate me.

The plan wasn’t going to work. I couldn’t rely on Vata. I had to do it myself. I had to tell the police my story––the whole thing. Well, except for the gun smuggling. They didn’t need to know about that.

I stood up and limped out of the stable. Across the yard, the screen door slammed shut. The animals ignored me as I stumbled through their midst.

“Hey!” I hurried toward the door. “Police! Hey!”

No comments: