Monday, January 09, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 4.4.6 - Umo


I threw the gardening supplies in my trunk and slammed both hatches. “Get in the car.”

Lango knew which car I meant: my car. We slammed the doors and we were off. I turned left out of the temple parking lot, headed for Main Street. We needed to track Zhudırı down, get the weapons from him, and kill him. It was that simple.


Lango wheezed in a breath and said, “We should stop at a payphone, call to see if any new police reports have been filed.” He swallowed. “You know, in case they found Zhudırı.”

What we really needed was a police scanner. Gogzhuè thought they’d be too conspicuous, but maybe I’d be able to convince him after this fiasco.

The last known location of Zhudırı was the Kılímı residence. That’s where he left the fake car. He wouldn’t be there anymore, but maybe Mr. and Mrs. Kılímı would have a clue where he went.

Stop sign at Main Street. A news van crossed in front of us and I turned the same direction. The back of the van proclaimed, “Channel 6 News––local news, local heart.”

“Um,” said Lango. “If they’re going where I think they’re going, we really don’t want to follow them the whole way there.”

Oh, we were going to the Kılímı house, whether the tv reporters were or not. I had no other option. We’d just have to play it different.

“Get on your curious-tourist face, Lango. We have questions to ask.”

No comments: