Sunday, January 15, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 4.5.5 - Vata


“I’m sorry, sirs. He isn’t here. He came back, yes, but he left on foot with his girlfriend. It looked like they were going east, but they must have turned off the road by now.” I hoped the patrolmen believed me. They had to believe me. Who wouldn’t trust a little old lady?
I had no idea why my husband was helping the criminal and his girlfriend. It was one thing to heal wounds, but this was something different. Not that it mattered, though. Pí‘oro was helping them and that’s all I needed to know.


The two lieutenants whispered to each other, then one of them hurried away. I heard the front door open, but not close. Very well, we’d cool the entire desert.

The remaining patrolman looked toward the door like he was listening, but I heard nothing.

“Let him in,” he called.

The front door finally closed. The tall blond man turned to face me. “Did Zhudıro or his girlfriend give any indication where they might be headed?”

Before I could answer, Deputy Tépíto Laparıpasamı came into view and stopped beside the taller man. The young deputy smiled at me. “Good afternoon, Mrs. Kılímo. Go ahead and answer his question, if you don’t mind.”

I nodded and took a breath. Had they said anything to me about their intentions? I didn’t want to lie if I didn’t have to. “I. . . I do not recall them saying anything about that.”

The lieutenant frowned. The deputy nodded.

No comments: