Friday, January 06, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 4.4.4 - Vata


I stood alone in the chapel, beside a dead cow. The braziers sputtered. Névazhíno had left me floating on air but with my mind reeling. Zhíno hadn’t possessed my husband. Pí‘oro had acted oddly of his own accord. But where had he gotten the sudden strength and agility? Where had he gotten the sudden compassion and effervescence?

The doorbell rang. My feet sat solidly on the dirt floor. I wiped the knife on my red dress and set it on the stone altar. The doorbell rang again as I crossed the dark chapel toward the hallway door. I stepped into my slippers, opened the door, and climbed the remaining two steps.

I heard the front door open. A man’s somber voice called, “Hello? This is the police. Is anybody here?”

“I’m coming.” Kids today were always in such a hurry. I closed the chapel door.

Before I reached the corner in the hall, a uniformed policeman appeared. Tall, short blond hair, thin face. “Are you Vata Kılímı?”

“Yes.”

“I am Lieutenant Nıgédızí and this is Lieutenant Vorısí.” Another tall blond stepped into view behind Nıgédızí. “We’re looking for Zhíno Zhudırı.”

Lieutenants. They must be with the state patrol. “He. . .” He was carried away from the sheriff’s deputy by my husband. I couldn’t say that. I couldn’t lay any blame on Pí‘oro. “He isn’t here.”

Both young men frowned, their blue eyes growing dark.

No comments: