Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 4.5.1 - Bhanar


Séara ignored Pí‘oro, stepping quickly to the right with her gun pointed down. I exited the bushes into the clearing, keeping an eye on the old man. He kept his hands raised. He wasn’t wearing pants.

The policewoman ordered, “Roll over.”

I raised my handgun generally toward Pí‘oro and glanced Séara’s direction. Zhíno lay face-up and naked on the grass and weeds. He slowly started to roll over, away from the brunette.

A flash of motion and someone had my gun wrist––Pí‘oro. I fired but it missed him, the blast deafening in the small canyon. He grabbed the gun with his other hand and I did too, twisting to break free. Pí‘oro’s hands nearly crushed mine.

“Drop the weapon!” Séara, sounding like a policewoman. I knew she didn’t mean me. Pí‘oro didn’t let go.

My wrist and my fingers throbbed where the big man’s hands dug in. He jerked the gun and I fell to one knee as I clung to the weapon.
“Drop the gun, Mr. Kılímı!” Not Séara. That was Zhíno. When did he become a good guy?

Pí‘oro twisted the gun barrel closer and closer to me, his finger over mine on the trigger. He was simply overpowering me. An inch till my shoulder was in the line of fire. My arm muscles burned. They had nothing left in them. I was going to lose. I was going to get shot.

I slipped my finger out from between his and the trigger, shoved it behind the trigger. The muzzle loomed large in my face. Pí‘oro grimaced. He squeezed the trigger. A shot fired.

No comments: