Friday, January 20, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 4.6.5 - Séara


The horse wasn’t there. I spotted her tracks, wandering eastward. I followed carefully. Human footprints––bare feet. Right by a big rock, right by where the horse started cantering.

“Pétíso!”

The girlfriend, the blonde. I’d ignored her and look what happened. We’d never get Mr. Kılímo to a hospital in time. “Pétíso-damned idiot.”

I breathed deep, repeatedly. We had to save Mr. Kılímo. I couldn’t let him die. I shot him. I couldn’t let him die.

I turned and ran back. Stabilize him. Improvise a stretcher. Something, anything to keep him alive and get him out of the desert.

The two men had him halfway up the slope.

“Do you need any help?” Through clenched teeth, Zhudıro said, “We got him.”

They each had their shoulder under an armpit, the old man’s feet dragging. Zhudıro pressed his hand on the bloody cloth over the wound. The wound I caused. The wound that would take a life.


I stepped back as they got near the top. Both men panted heavily. Mr. Kılímo groaned.

Bhanar looked up, around. “Where is the horse?”

“Gone.” I shook my head. “The blonde took it.”

Zhudıro glanced at me sharply. “How do you know it was her?”

“I don’t. But the horse is gone. We need to carry Mr. Kılímo back to the highway.”

No comments: