Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 4.5.2 - Sétıpímo


“Zhíno Zhudırı will be in the jail in fifteen minutes.” I slammed down the phone. “Pétíso take the state patrol.” Nulıpéshı needed help. Laparıpısamı should be there by now. They both needed help. I should never have let the brass put those two kids on the dayshift together.

I considered waking up Mupí and Émıkangı––it was almost time for their shift anyhow––but I was already halfway to the front door.

The phone rang.

I cursed, “Pétíso!” and went back to answer it. “Tuhanı Precinct.”

A woman’s voice. “Sétıpímo? This is Hérına at the Temple of Vuzhí.”

“Good afternoon, Hérına.” I hadn’t seen here for several days. “What warrants giving me the pleasure of hearing your beautiful voice?”

“You’re too kind, Séto. There’s a strange car in the parking lot here. Broken window. I heard voices and car doors and looked outside, but they were gone.”

Zhudırı’s car. “A brown Sonla sedan?”

“Um. . . I think so. It could be. Should I go check? It’s definitely brown.”

“No need to check. You’ve been a marvelous help. I’ve got to run, but could you please call Tamé and have him tow it?” I had to get to the Kılímıs’.

“I’ll do that.”

“Thank you, Héra. Go in Her name.”

“Go in Her name.”

I hung up the phone and jogged to the front door.

No comments: