Friday, January 13, 2006

Green Desert - Chapter 4.5.4 - Zhíno


Someone fired a gun, but it wasn’t the cop––I didn’t get hit. I finished rolling over to my stomach and looked up. Pí‘oro and the foreign kid were fighting over a gun.

The cop yelled, “Drop the weapon!”

Neither did. Pí‘oro was going to get himself killed.

“Drop the gun, Mr. Kılímı!” Did he think he was protecting me with this suicidal action? Because he certainly wasn’t. But he was helping himself even less. The brunette policewoman had her gun leveled right at the old man.

She had another gun in her holster. Did the old fool expect me to take it? To shoot the cop? To shoot the kid? Sure, the foreigner shot me twice, but I was healed now, so that didn’t matter anymore.

The cop fired. Pí‘oro lurched backwards, holding his gut, and fell down on his side. Blood seeped around his thick fingers.

The dark-haired teenager froze, kneeling upright, the big man in front of him.

I stayed where I was, but said, “Somebody, help him. Kid, help him.”

The foreigner’s head jerked towards me at “kid,” but then he set the gun down and crawled to look at the wound.

The policewoman turned to point her gun at me. I stayed motionless.

The teenager exclaimed, “Why did you shoot his guts?”

The cop bit her lower lip and tried to holster her gun, unsuccessfully. She spun to face the other two and ordered, “Apply pressure to the wound.”

Oh gods.

No comments: