Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 2.6.1 - Bhanar


Vata used a word I didn’t know.

“To the what?”

She pointed down the hall. “To the ––” She repeated the strange word. Temple? Sanctuary? Something like that, but it still didn’t make any sense. “Get Tamé.” The towtruck driver.

I hopped over Sıpa‘ı and hurried past the frantic old woman. Hopefully Tamé would understand her. Pí‘oro seemed fine, though––as fine as you can be for having suddenly collapsed in a coma. I yanked open the door. Tamé wasn’t there. “Tamé!” I stuck my head outside into the sunlight. He was halfway back to the gravel. “Tamé. Come here. Pí‘oro is ill.”

The man in overalls frowned and jogged back to me. I held the door for him and led him inside.

Vata had walked past her husband. “Bring him to the sanctuary. Follow me.”

Tamé stopped short. “What sanctuary?”

I squatted down beside Pí‘oro and grabbed him near the shoulder. “Take an arm.” The sanctuary must be where she took Zhíno. The surgery room. Where they slaughtered their pets.

Just as Tamé took Pí‘oro’s other arm, I let go.

“What are you doing?”

I twisted around. Vata was already out of sight, the dog with her. “Sıpa‘ı, come here!” I slapped my thigh twice. Had she already got him? Killed him? I wasn’t about to help the Kılímıs if it meant killing Sıpa‘ı, that was for Névazhíno-damned sure.

No comments: