Thursday, November 24, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 3.4.2 - Vata


Deputy Nulıpéshı stared into the chapel and swore.

“Please, Séara, before they get too far!”

Séara turned her face to the foreign kid. “Nobody’s in there.”

“That’s what I said!” I shrieked. I had to get control of myself. This wasn’t at all proper. Breathe deep. I pointed into the spare bedroom. “Out the window.”

Séara eyed me suspiciously, but Bhanar ran at me. I stepped back into the corner and he careened into the bedroom, dodged the bed, caught himself at the open window. “I do not see them.”

Séara joined me at the doorway.

Bhanar turned, eyebrows lowered and jaw tense. “Where did they go?”

I shook my head. “I do not know. Maybe they took one of the trails. Maybe they circled the house and are stealing your police car.”

Séara’s breathing paused for a second. “Bhanar, you go to the trails. I’ll check my car and then I’ll join you.” She turned and started down the hall.

The kid asked, “Can I have a gun?”

The deputy paused. “No.”

“But. . .”

I snapped, “Hurry! They don’t have any guns. Go stop them.”

The young foreigner stared at me, studied me.

“Go!”

Séara ran down the hall and around the corner.

No comments: