Monday, November 21, 2005

Green Desert - Chapter 3.3.5 - Umo


The sign read, “Tuhanı, population 1,873.” I could easily see the far end of town, straight down the highway. One stoplight. No pedestrians. Too Pétíso-damned hot for walking. It was nearly freezing in our car. I was raised in Mokıraozı.

“What’s the address?”

Lango checked the printout. “5430 East Crater Road.”

“Yeah, but where is that?” We were almost to the stoplight.

“How the hell am I supposed to know? This town’s just a fucking dot on the map.”

I gently braked to a halt behind a shiny red pickup. I snorted a laugh. “At least it’s on the map.”

“Well, it’s not a Sarıman map. It’s just a state map.” Lango flapped the folded roadmap in my face. Zhupísı and South Saírédí.

I swatted his hand away. “Do that again and I’ll kill you.”

Lango laughed––well, more of a twitter. “You haven’t yet.”

I tapped my sunglasses down my nose and glared at the greasy little man. “Try me. I’ll be sure to change my ways for you.”

He pointed out the windshield. Green light, the red truck long gone. The car behind me waited patiently. I tapped the gas, rolled through the intersection.

“Where’s the house? We just crossed Main Street.”

“East Crater Road. I said.”

I sighed. “But where’s that?”

No comments: